Reflection Blog

 Nervens Joseph

11th Grade

CETAPHIL Commercial Reflection blog


This reflection is going to be different, it's going to stay within the boarders of the rubrics yet the answers will be thought from outside the bubbles boarder.  To answer the first question in as much details to reach the 20 sentence mark I will begin by breaking the first question into 2 parts, 'How does your product use or challenge conventions' being the first.

In typical commercials, lotion commercials to be more specific, I've notice many conventions that can be found a large range of lotion/moisturizing commercials. For starters, most of them typically star a famous celebrity or a well known public figure whos typically an older actress. For example, the Aveeno commercial who stars 51 year old Jennifer Aniston who has several awards or another example would the recent Olay commercial who stars 41 year old Elizabeth Jean Philipps. I challenge convention by staring non-celebrity 16 year old Male. Reason being is because an older actress was not available, and therefore I was forced to challenge convention there. 

Most lotion commercials also use flowers, or lavenders to appeal to the audiences emotions and to make the person watching know how soft the lotion makes you feel and how healthy it is for your skin. Again here I challenge convention by not using a flower of any sort throughout the entire commercial.

However, I did use convention because at one point of my commercial I used the famous line '100% dermatologist recommended' logo. In most commercials, the companies making these commercials ideally say at one point that line to also now instead of pathos, use ethos- authority figure (dermatologists) who are the best skin doctors and having the best skin doctors recommend a product 100%, then the audience would believe and buy that product.

Like I said before, the social groups used in these commercials are ideally white, older actresses and that does pose an idea that, that social group is usually the comforting mother who takes care of their skins and are emotionally comforting. 

Now, how does my commercial interacts with the audience, well by targeting a specific target market that isn't usually targeted, young student athletes. And by being a student athlete I also am able to engage with adults because if my age group is using this product and being that the new generation is using a product then they would feel as if they would be modest by using that product. Let me simplify this, when younger people use a product that is effective and is admired by the new generation, then older people not being old, generally would feel younger by using that same product.

How would this media be released as a real media text, just like most other skin care commercials are released via Television, and as advertisement on websites etc. I would  also engage with younger social media users by using technology to my favor, and to attract the users attention.

What did I learn through all this, and have my production skills developed, absolutely. Before this project, I thought I knew it all. I thought that I could get this out of the way in 10-15 minutes. I thought all the skills enacted already. I thought so many things that were eventually found to be wrong. I did not have the skills necessary as my struggle completing project proved to be difficult and stressful. Although I do admit to procrastination, but I learned so much in the filming process for example to film in landscape, and to have the shots in 16:9 ratio, and to properly add on voice over. I learned so much more and I hope to use all this later in this course.

I used technology from start to finish. Because of the situation that the world as a whole is facing. I had to use all the technology available to me to accomplish this task. I used software's such as clipchamp to do all the major editing's and the rest were done using NCH Software, which I've used in the past. I also used Google's YouTube to export my video to then embed it on my previous blog. 

That is all I have for this blog, thank you to all the readers in advance for your time.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro Blog

Production blog

Believers Music Video Editing Blog